Friday, May 17, 2013

Simply giddy

Giddy. Yes, giddy.  That's how I would describe my current state. I'm simply giddy.

I started my first class at DTS this week! Granted it's online, but still. I'm officially a Dallas Theological Seminary student! It's beyond exciting. The class is PM101 - Spiritual Life and our first assignment was to post a little autobiography about ourselves and then respond to other students. I'm fascinated with each person's story! Each person comes from such a different background and yet at some point in life, God stepped in and flipped their world upside down. Most of the students that have already posted their autobiographies became Christians later in life, usually during their college years. I was especially inspired by the autobiography of one student. She was born into a very well-educated Hindu family. She became a Christian as a senior in college and is only one of two people in her whole family to be a believer. What a story of courage! When writing my own autobiography I realized how exceptionally blessed I am to be born into a Christian home and be brought up in a nurturing church of believers. It's truly humbling. Because I grew up in this Christian Slavic Sacramento bubble I don't think I really valued my upbringing and community enough. We are so privileged to grow in faith and spiritual maturity with such a "cloud of witnesses."

I'm also super excited about my upcoming move to Dallas. DTS has this housing website that I equate to Match.com because it matches you with people who you are most compatible with (roommate-wise). I've had my profile on the site for almost a week and today was the first time I got an email from a possible roommate. Being the "investigator" that I am, I checked her out on Facebook and she looks like such a fun and laid-back person. I may be jumping to conclusions way too quickly, but she seems like someone I'd get along with really well. I can't wait to see who I actually end up with! The excitement of it all is getting the best of me!

Here's what my profile sounds like... Do I sound like a cool person to live with?

 Bedtime: 12 PM
 Wakes up: 9 AM
 Security: Lock the apartment only when we are not home
 Conflict: Talk about things
 Sharing: I prefer to be asked for permission before sharing anything
 Cleaning: Usually orderly and clean (each clean our own mess) 
 Goes out: Once or twice a week
 Looking for someone who: Is outgoing
 I hope my @roommate and I: Be friends and spend some time together
 Have a significant other who will be around: No
 Smoking: No
I'm an incoming DTS student, relocating from Sacramento, CA. I will be studying Christian Education at DTS. I'm outgoing and can strike up a conversation with pretty much anyone. I love to be spontaneous, explore new places and try new food. I love coffee and hanging out in cool coffee shops. My ultimate passion is student ministry and teaching. I've been teaching a teen Bible class at my church for the past three years and I hope to continue working with high schoolers or college kids in the future! When it comes to my "home life," I tend to be a night owl, often staying up past midnight. But, I really like my sleep and even though I have to get up early right now because of work, if I get a chance to sleep in, I take it! My room tends to be fairly clean but never really spotless. When I'm at home, I'm usually more reserved and quiet. I like to have my alone-time to read, study, or write. I also like to cook and experiment with new ingredients and dishes. When it comes to others, I value honesty over every other virtue and really respect people who can tell me the truth even if it hurts. I would like to live in Washington Hall and am looking for an apartment-mate or even a roommate who I can be comfortable around and who shares some of the same interests. Hopefully that's you! Text me at (916)XXX-XXX if you are looking for a apartment-mate/roommate.

No comments:

Post a Comment