Tuesday, August 20, 2013

One week with a bunch of seminary students

Ok, so I've survived my first week living in Washington Hall - the student apartment building here. Here are just a few quick things I've learned so far:

1. Seminary students are not the stereotypical nerdy kids who have deep theological conversations all the time. Actually, I have yet to hear a single deep theological discussion. I have heard discussions about boys, coffee shops, movies, college days, shoes, culture, etc. Basically, seminary students are just normal people. They just happen to love Jesus and want to serve in ministry.

2. Ukraine is big here. Already, I know a few people who are pretty much obsessed with Ukraine. I guess going on mission trips to Ukraine will do that to you. It's just interesting to find Americans who've been to Ukraine more times than I have. It kind of messes with my mind.

3. The American Christian culture is WAY different than the Slavic Christian culture. So many things that I was taught to consider as "sin" growing up are just part of culture here. DTS has a no-alcohol policy so that's not what I'm referring to. But, things like secular music, movies and dancing are totally ok here. Dating is also big. Apparently, there's lots of that going on. (Not that I think dating is a sin. It's just not as common in the Slavic Christian culture that I grew up in). American Christians are just more chill, and not so uptight about debatable or questionable things. Don't get me wrong. I'm not taking a side here, but just making an observation.

4. Southerners are really awesome people.  Seriously, the girls I've met here are just the sweetest. Everyone is really nice, hospitable and friendly. One afternoon I was leaving the apartment only to find a candy bar and note by the door for me. It was from a really sweet girl (also a DTS student) that I met at the Village Church on Sunday. How precious is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment