Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Crazy enough to trust

About 6 months ago, I got this crazy idea to go to grad school at Dallas Theological Seminary. I say crazy because at the time it was just a distant dream - one that was too big to fathom. But, here I am registered for classes for my first semester. I still can't believe this is happening. It's still crazy.


Over the course of these past few months God has been teaching me a lot - everything from patience to humility to surrender. The biggest lesson has definitely been on trust, which goes hand in hand with surrender (my One Word Resolution for this year - more on that later).

Trusting God isn't something I'm good at. But, I'm not sure many people are. We tend to trust God for a little bit, then take matters into our own hands, and what do you know, we fail. We fail miserably. Yet, for some reason we do it all over again.

Take the Israelites for example. For a long time, I found the story of Moses freeing the Israelites from Egypt kind of weird. I mean, why would God send Moses to Egypt and then harden Pharaoh's heart? Ten times! Wouldn't it be much easier for God to soften Pharaoh's heart so that the Israelites could go free right away? Why the plagues? Why the back and forth charades? But, it seems like every time I read this story in the Bible, I missed the point.

God didn't harden Pharaoh's heart to teach him a lesson. God wasn't playing the role of a magician either. He wasn't displaying His power just for the fun of it. You see, while the Israelites were in slavery, they had become hopeless. They didn't see redemption on the horizon. And, they didn't know what it even meant to trust God. God was distant and silent, as far as they knew.

But the Israelites only saw their side of the story. They had no idea God was plotting their redemption all along. So, to teach His chosen people trust and total dependence in the desert, God had to prep them in Egypt. He displayed his omniscience and omnipotence so that their faith may be awakened and their trust renewed.
I've been watching the History channel Bible miniseries every
Sunday since it came out...  Definitely the inspiration for this blog post!

Imagine if this didn't happen. Imagine if Moses waltzed into Pharaoh's palace, shouted the famous "Let my people go!" and Pharaoh immediately melted in his presence, freeing the Israelites from their bondage. What would have been the reaction of the Israelites? Do you think they would have instantly developed trust in God?

The truth of the matter is that trust in God takes time. It is developed through trials, misunderstandings, pain, helplessness, confusion, and so much more. We know this is definitely true when we fast forward the story of Moses and the Israelites just a few chapters. We see that even all the miraculous wonders performed by God in Egypt were not enough to stifle the Israelites' grumbling against Him in the desert. They were not quick to learn. But the miracles sure helped. When the Israelites doubted God, they were able to look back and remember. It gave them a foundation for their trust in God.

This makes me think of my journey with God. When I look back on my life, I see how He has shown me His grace and mercy over and over again. I marvel at the way He used every experience in my life to bring me to the place I am in now. I look at where I am now and can't help but think of it as precise preparation for what is ahead.

God had a marvelous plan for the Israelites, even though they failed to see it. God has a marvelous plan for me, and I pray that I may see it. See it, not with physical eyes, but see it with my heart. See it by trusting God completely - fully confident that He is slowly leading me into the Promised Land. Now, that's crazy!

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, so excited for you dear! Trust is hard and makes us vulnerable, but we can have joy in knowing that He is faithful and He is sovereign.

    ReplyDelete