Thursday, June 13, 2013

Let the decorating begin!

As of today, my move to Dallas is less than 2 months away! Oh how the time flies!I started a list of things I need to do before I leave and things are slowly getting checked off. (I love lists and checking things off is my favorite!) So, you can imagine how happy all of this makes me! The most recent "to-do" that got checked off is "Find a roommate and a place to live." Well, actually, I didn't "find" anything. It found me! A little over a week ago, a current DTS student contacted me about sharing an apartment on campus. Her previous roommate graduated so she was looking for someone to fill her place. Of course I said yes! Especially after I found out that we are 94% compatible on the DTS roommate-matching website (which I equate to match.com)! And, she's also a Christian Education major. And, she did full-time student ministry for 6 years. And, she's funny, outgoing, and super proactive about getting things done. Basically, (at least from what it seems) she's like the perfect apartment-mate for me. I say apartment-mate because I'll be getting my own room and bathroom and we'll just have to share a living room and kitchen. The other awesome thing is her living room and kitchen are already furnished! Score!

Which brings me to checklist item number 2: "Figure out how you're going to decorate your new room!" This one gets me super giddy! I love design, art, and decorating, but I haven't had an opportunity to decorate anything (besides my room 10 years ago). Here is where Pinterest becomes my best friend! I have an entire board of decorating ideas. I guess from all those pins, you can conclude that my style is kind of shabby chic with a modern twist. 

Here are the basics I'd like to incorporate:
1. Neutral (grey/cream) solids
2.. Bright/pastel accents
3. Lots of coordinating patterns (especially chevron)
4. Modern (maybe upholstered) bed frame
5. Vintage (more just thrift store) accent furniture
6. Old maps, globes, treasure chests, chalk boards, picture frames

It will be cool to see what I actually end up doing. Pinterest is one thing. Decorating on a grad student's budget is another. Stay tuned for the final result!

Here are some photos from my Pinterest board of inspiration:









2 comments:

  1. 1. I'm a list kinda gal myself. Could you tell? ;)
    2. Decorating = so much fun!
    3. So glad you found a compatible roommate. ;)
    4. I have a lot of reading to catch up on here on this blog of yours. Keep up the fabulous posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe you are moving in less than 2 months! Excited for you!

    ReplyDelete